Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Medical books of all publishers


This plastic-clip bookmark1 was found tucked inside a 1946 edition of "Principles of Dynamic Psychiatry" by Jules H. Masserman.

The text on the bookmark states:

T.H. McKENNA, INC.
MEDICAL BOOKS OF ALL PUBLISHERS
322 Henry St., Brooklyn 2, N.Y. - MAin 4-3124


I also found an advertisement for T.H. McKenna in the January 1938 bulletin of The New York Academy of Medicine. That advertisement states:

MEDICAL BOOKS
Of All Publishers
IN ALL LANGUAGES
You will find it a convenience to secure all of your books from one source -- ONE order -- ONE account -- ONE remittance. Monthly Terms if you wish.
T.H. McKENNA, INC.
878 Lexington Ave., New York


It doesn't appear as if T.H. McKenna is around any more. As far as those two noted locations are concerned, it appears as if 322 Henry Street in Brooklyn is now the site of a playground (which I must say is kind of nice):


View Larger Map

And the 878 Lexington Avenue location in New York City, which is just east of the southeast corner of Central Park, now houses Del Bove Deli & Market.

Footnotes
1. I just found a terrific website called Forgotten Bookmarks that is very much along the same lines as Papergreat (only much cooler). The site's description: "I work at a rare and used bookstore, and I buy books from people everyday. These are the personal, funny, heartbreaking and weird things I find in those books." If you like Papergreat, you'll love Forgotten Bookmarks. It's what I want to be when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment